Friday, April 19, 2019

I read

I read an article that made me feel old. I mean really old.

The article was about how parents can no longer take a passive role in teaching their children about finances.

When I was a kid, the only way I would get money was by figuring out how to make some. Having a paper route was the most common way for me and my friends to earn money. It was very rare when my parents would give me enough to buy a comic book.

Now? Kids are spending boatloads of their parent’s money purchasing in-game apps on their phone. I hardly know how to send a text message, let alone buy something in a game on my phone. If I did buy something, is it to my doorstep? I really don’t get it.

Regardless, the article went on to explain how our court system required Amazon to return over $70 million worth of app purchases made by kids.

That’s a lot of whatever…

bought by kids…

on their phones.

I’m not against kids buying anything as long as their parents approve. However, I’m curious how much they’re really learning about money with these purchases.

I learned about money by playing Monopoly® with my best friend and his dad, my rich dad. In fact, that’s one of the reasons my wife and I created our board game CASHFLOW 101®, and later CASHFLOW for Kids.

I know everything is made for computers and phones and all that, but we still get positive feedback from families who take a little time every few weeks to play one of our “analog” board games.

If you want a break from the craziness that you find on your phone, I encourage you to grab a copy of CASHFLOW the Board Game or CASHFLOW for Kids.

We developed them to help everyone gain a better understanding of how personal finances work.

No comments: