Saturday, September 03, 2022

Travel

 2022 0903 Reflections on the Davao trip, answering the questions from TED talks:


1.  What moved me most over the course of my trip?


For us in WorldAsis, travelling is not really affordable to do as a family or as a clan.  We are just too big and nobody is that rich (yet) to be able to afford flying us all to a dream destination.  Travelling as WorldAsis meant travelling to Zambales to visit Tay, stay in his house because we do not need to pay for food and lodging.  Growing up, we spent summers there with our first cousins, and as they migrated, me and my siblings (and their families) would travel there together during the Holy Week when we are all on vacation anyway.


Travelling to Davao together is a rarity, it is actually the first.  I just wanted to visit Tita Geng in her new home, and Ian who has started to work there during the pandemic.  I also wanted to give Louanne a bit of a breather after her two “sons” migrated to the US.  Sabi nga ni Lucas, sya na daw finally ang favorite ni Mommy Lou kasi nasa US na sila Gavin at Nathan hehe.  And I also wanted to bring Lucas and Luna so they can visit with Papa Ian.  It was really a bonus that Jilly, Mommy Tep and Han also wanted to go.


Being with this much of my family on a four day weekend, outside of Luzon, outside of Zambales, boarding a plane, is so moving to me.  It actually felt like a dream.  Being with all of them at the airport, on the plane, going on adventures with them, and just plain seeing us all together and making memories warms my heart.  I wanted to capture every single thing but I am too heavy to catch up with everyone.


What also moved me is how much the kids are aweare that they are with their lola who is too big to really join them in everything, whose steps are measured in fear of falling down, whose knees hurt just by getting on and off the vans, and someone would always be there to keep me steady and to hold my hand.


Yes, we had quite a bit of an adventure.  But since we are not rich and could not really afford going on adventures, we are so used to just hanging out together, sharing meals, spending time, goofing around, sharing stories, the ones that really stood out in my heart are the hanging out moments.  The moments that really does not cost that much money.  Just knowing you are part of this circle of love called WorldAsis is enough.


2.  What surprised me most on my trip?


What my friend Tita Fely said - that I do not need a rich friend.  That all I need is a poor friend who is mayabang haha.  I know she has always been generous to me and my family over the many years I have known her.  But to sponsor a whole day with us - that is just awesome.  But more than the money spent on us, it was the time she reserved just for us.  She just came from an out of town trip and came home late Saturday night.  Then she woke up really early to pick us up and take us to Digos City and spend her Sunday with us.  She is so active in her church, and she gave up her Sunday, her church day, for us.  Imagine that?!?!?!?!


My pamangkins have known her like forever but they rarely see her.  But my apos have not really met her.  And yet, they warmed up to her like they have known her all their lives.  She gamely joined our photos and went as crazy as us.  She was such a natural WorldAsis family member. 


We love you Tita Fely!


3.  How might my trip move me to think or live my life a little differently?


I was never really a traveller.  I first went outside of the country at 23, and have actually gone to some places since  but was never really that excited about travelling.  I was more excited about the people I will be spending time with.  I would go to the US because I have family there.  I went to places where my brother was working as an OFW before to be able to spend Christmas with him a couple of times in the past.  I went to Europe because I was being a brat and I wanted to spend my birthday in Paris with my then boyfriend who was travelling there on business.  I went to places with my Breakfast Club mainly because I wanted to just hang out with them.  I have never been addicted to travelling.  Besides, all I can really afford is to visit my mother and my family in the US at least every other year.


But this travel to Davao with the family opened up my mind to the possibility of travelling more with family.  It has actually made me want to be healthier, to lose the excess baggage and travel healthier, able to move around without anyone needing to hold my hand and keep me steady.  


It is a struggle for a foodie like me, who was raised to eat like a man because i grew up with 5 brothers and my brain is wired like them - see food diet rules, haha.  We have always enjoyed eating and I now have to stop and tell myself I could not live that way anymore.  Next time I travel with family, I should be a lot lighter and a lot healthier.  The time to start is now, right?  And so Tita Geng, I only ate half of a Snickers Bar, I shared the other half with Ate Cecille and Kuya Joel.  I need to sacrifice harhar…..

No comments: