Interestingly, when it is my time to talk, biglang tumahimik ang lahat, including ang mga naka-puting incoming 4th years na mukhang member ng catering group. Others are taking pictures and videos. Mukhang seryoso sa pakikinig pati mga parents at nagpanggap na parents nila.
So since sa Batch 2 lang ako nag-speak, sharing here the complete speech (without adlibs) for all student to know bakit hindi ako fan ng hard hatting and pinning ceremony na pinapauso ngayon sa CEA.
Read on...
--
๐ช๐ผ๐ฟ๐๐ต๐ ๐ผ๐ณ ๐๐ต๐ฒ ๐ง๐ถ๐๐น๐ฒ
๐พ๐ก๐ค๐จ๐๐ฃ๐ ๐๐๐ข๐๐ง๐ ๐จ
๐๐๐ ๐๐ ๐๐๐ง๐ ๐๐๐ฉ๐ฉ๐๐ฃ๐ ๐๐ฃ๐ ๐๐๐ฃ๐ฃ๐๐ฃ๐ ๐พ๐๐ง๐๐ข๐ค๐ฃ๐ฎ
๐ฝ๐ช๐ก๐ฌ๐๐๐๐ฃ๐ ๐พ๐ก๐๐ง๐ค ๐. ๐๐๐๐ฉ๐ค
16 ๐
๐ช๐ก๐ฎ 2026
I have a confession to make.
I'm not a big fan of ceremonies like this.
I don't believe a pin makes you an engineer. I don't believe wearing a hard hat makes you ready for the profession. And I certainly don't believe that titles are earned because we stood on a stage and had our pictures taken.
But before you think I'm against today's celebration, let me explain.
I believe ceremonies are meaningful only when they remind us of something far greater than the ceremony itself. They should not celebrate what we have already become; they should remind us of what we have yet to earn.
Today, you did not become engineers. Today, you accepted the challenge of becoming one.
That thought reminded me of something from my own days here at PUP.
Twenty-two years ago, in 2004, I was the News Editor of The Engineering Spectrum, the official student publication of the College of Engineering. In our first issue that year, a Computer Engineering freshman named Tim Nabong submitted a poem entitled "Mahirap Maging Superhero."
More than two decades have passed, but I think its message remains as relevant today as it was then.
Allow me to read it.
๐๐โ๐๐๐๐ ๐๐๐๐๐๐ ๐๐ข๐๐๐โ๐๐๐
๐๐: ๐๐๐๐
๐๐โ๐๐๐๐ ๐๐๐ค ๐๐๐๐๐๐ ๐๐ ๐ก๐ข๐๐ฆ๐๐๐ก๐
๐ฟ๐๐๐ ๐๐ ๐๐๐ ๐ธ๐๐๐๐๐๐๐๐๐๐ ๐๐ ๐๐๐๐ ๐
๐ท๐โ๐๐ ๐ ๐ ๐๐ข๐ฆ๐๐ก, ๐๐ข๐๐๐ ๐๐ ๐ ๐ ๐๐๐๐
๐๐๐ค๐ ๐ ๐ ๐๐๐๐๐๐๐๐๐ ๐๐ "๐๐๐ฆ๐ ๐๐ '๐ฆ๐๐ ๐๐๐๐!"
๐น๐๐๐ ๐ก ๐ฆ๐. ๐ก๐ ๐ ๐๐๐๐๐ ๐ฆ๐., ๐๐๐๐ฆ ๐๐๐๐ฆ ๐๐ ๐๐๐ค
๐โ๐๐๐ ๐ฆ๐. ๐ก๐ ๐๐๐ข๐๐กโ ๐ฆ๐., โ๐ข๐๐๐๐๐ ๐๐๐๐ ๐๐๐๐๐๐ โ๐๐๐๐๐๐ค
๐๐๐๐ ๐๐๐ ๐๐๐๐กโ ๐ฆ๐., ๐๐ ๐๐ ๐๐ ๐๐๐๐ ๐๐๐ ๐๐๐๐ ๐ ๐ ๐๐๐๐ค
๐๐๐๐๐๐๐๐๐ฆ๐๐ฆ๐๐ก ๐๐ ๐๐โ๐๐ก ๐๐ ๐๐๐๐ค ๐๐ฆ ๐๐๐ก๐๐๐๐ค
๐พ๐๐ฆ๐ ๐๐๐๐๐๐๐๐๐ ๐๐๐ค ๐๐๐ฆ๐โ๐๐ ๐ ๐ ๐๐ข๐๐๐๐๐๐
๐ฟ๐๐๐๐๐๐ ๐๐๐ ๐๐๐ ๐๐๐๐๐ฆ ๐๐ ๐๐๐๐๐ก ๐๐๐๐๐๐ก๐๐
๐ ๐๐๐ฆ๐ ๐๐๐๐๐ ๐๐ฆ ๐ ๐ ๐๐๐๐๐๐๐๐๐
๐ผ๐ ๐๐๐๐ก ๐๐๐ ๐๐โ๐๐ก ๐๐ ๐๐๐๐๐ก ๐๐๐-๐๐๐๐๐๐
๐พ๐ข๐๐ ๐๐ข๐๐๐๐ ๐๐, ๐๐๐ก๐ ๐๐ ๐ ๐ ๐ต๐๐ก๐๐๐
๐๐๐-๐๐๐๐ ๐ ๐ ๐ต๐๐ก๐๐๐ฃ๐ ๐๐ข๐๐ ๐๐๐๐๐๐๐๐๐๐๐๐๐
๐๐ข๐๐ ๐๐๐ ๐๐๐ ๐๐๐ก๐ ๐ท๐๐๐๐ ๐๐๐๐๐ก๐ข๐๐๐
๐๐๐๐ข๐๐ข๐๐๐ ๐๐ ๐๐๐ ๐๐๐๐๐ ๐๐๐ ๐๐โ๐โ๐๐๐๐๐๐
๐พ๐๐ฆ๐ ๐๐๐ ๐๐โ๐๐๐๐ ๐๐๐ ๐ธ๐๐๐๐๐๐๐๐๐๐ ๐๐ก๐ข๐๐๐๐ก ๐๐
๐๐๐๐ ๐ ๐ข๐๐๐ก ๐๐๐๐๐ ๐๐๐ ๐๐๐ข๐๐๐๐ค๐๐ฆ๐ก ๐๐ ๐๐
(๐ ๐๐๐ฆ๐ ๐๐๐๐๐๐๐๐ ๐ ๐๐ ๐๐๐๐๐ ๐๐ฅ๐๐๐ ๐๐๐๐ ๐ ๐ ๐๐๐)
๐พ๐๐ ๐ ๐ธ๐๐๐๐๐๐๐ ๐๐ ๐๐... ๐๐ข๐๐๐โ๐๐๐ ๐๐ ๐๐!
Twenty-two years have passed; engineering has changed. Technology has changed. The world has changed.
But one thing has remained exactly the same.
Engineering is still difficult. It still demands discipline. It still humbles brilliant people. It still teaches us that talent, beauty, and handsomeness are never enough.
And this is why I began by saying that I don't believe in ceremonies.
If today's ceremony gives you the impression that you've already arrived, then it has failed you.
But if today's ceremony reminds you that the hardest—and most meaningful—part of your journey begins tomorrow, then today has been worthwhile.
As someone who now works as an engineer, a researcher, a writer and editor, a leader and manager, and an educator, let me tell you something that the profession has taught me for the last 17 years.
Electricity does not care how confident you are. It does not care how many people applauded today. It does not care how many pictures were taken or how many reactions your post receives online.
Electricity responds only to sound engineering, careful calculations, ethical decisions, and competent professionals.
One mistake in our profession can cost millions of pesos. One mistake can interrupt power to an entire community. One mistake can cost a life.
That is why competence matters more than appearances, ego, and self-interest.
So, wear your pin—not as a badge that says, "I have arrived," but as a reminder that you still have so much to learn.
Wear your hard hat—not because it makes you look like an engineer, but because one day you will carry the responsibility of ensuring other people's safety.
The real pinning happens when your integrity is tested. The real hard hatting happens when people begin to trust your decisions.
And the real celebration comes on the day you earn the privilege of writing RME, REE, or perhaps even PEE after your name—not because someone placed a pin on your chest, but because your competence, your character, and your commitment have earned society's trust.
So let me leave you with this: ๐๐ค๐ฃ'๐ฉ ๐จ๐ฉ๐ง๐๐ซ๐ ๐ฉ๐ค ๐ก๐ค๐ค๐ ๐ก๐๐ ๐ ๐๐ฃ๐๐๐ฃ๐๐๐ง๐จ. ๐๐ฉ๐ง๐๐ซ๐ ๐ฉ๐ค ๐๐๐๐ค๐ข๐ ๐๐ฃ๐๐๐ฃ๐๐๐ง๐จ ๐ฌ๐ค๐ง๐ฉ๐๐ฎ ๐ค๐ ๐ฉ๐๐ ๐ฉ๐๐ฉ๐ก๐.
Congratulations to all our incoming fourth-year Electrical Engineering students.
I look forward to the day when I no longer call you our students, but our fellow engineers.
Good luck and may God always keep everyone in the palm of His hands.
Maraming salamat at magandang hapon sa inyong lahat.
#tatakmadam

No comments:
Post a Comment