Tuesday, July 28, 2026

"Roof is gone. We're not."

 Forwarding this lengthy but wonderful post, obviously from a foreigner…
πŸ‡΅πŸ‡­ I Traveled Through 40 Countries... Looking for the Richest People on Earth. I Found Them in the Poorest Houses of the Philippines. And I Need to Tell You Their Secret. ❤️ It started with a sound. My first typhoon here. Signal No. 3. The wind was screaming. The rain was horizontal. The power was gone. And through the wall of my neighbor's house... I heard something impossible. Laughter. πŸ˜‚ Not nervous laughter. Real laughter. The whole family. I thought they had lost their minds. The next morning I went outside. Half their roof was gone. You know what they were doing? Taking a family picture. In front of the missing roof. Doing peace signs. ✌️ Smiling. The grandmother was laughing so hard... she had to sit down on the famous plastic chair. πŸ˜‚ I asked the father: "Your roof is gone. Why is everyone laughing?" He looked at me. Shrugged. And said five words I will never forget: "Roof is gone. We're not." πŸ’”❤️ I stood there in silence. Because in my country... people fall apart when the WiFi is slow. πŸ˜‚ And here was a man... whose HOUSE was open to the sky... teaching me philosophy... in slippers. 🩴 Since that day, I started watching. Really watching. And I discovered the greatest secret of these islands. Filipinos don't laugh because life is easy. Filipinos laugh because they refuse... to let life win. πŸ‡΅πŸ‡­ The flood comes? Kids turn the street into a swimming pool. Olympic diving competition from the bangketa. πŸ˜‚ The power goes out? Suddenly it's a neighborhood concert. Someone brings a guitar. Someone starts the karaoke with a battery. "MY WAYYYY!" In total darkness. πŸ˜‚πŸŽ€ No money until the 15th? "Kapit lang." And somehow... there's still rice. Still coffee. Still jokes. Still someone shouting "KAIN TAYO!"... while having almost nothing to share. But sharing it anyway. ❤️ The line is long? Filipinos make friends in the line. The jeepney breaks down? Everybody pushes. Everybody laughs. The situation is SO bad it can't get worse? That's when Filipinos are the funniest. πŸ˜‚ Scientists call it "resilience." Politicians love that word too much. But I lived here long enough to know... it's not resilience. It's something much deeper. It's a decision. A quiet, daily, stubborn decision... passed from Lolo to Tatay to you: "They can take our roof. They can take our power. They can flood our streets. But they will NEVER... take our laughter." πŸ”₯πŸ‡΅πŸ‡­ And here's what breaks my heart... in the most beautiful way. The world has it all backwards. The world thinks Filipinos smile... because they don't understand how hard their life is. No. Filipinos understand life... better than anyone on this planet. They know life is short. They know storms will come. They know money runs out. So they decided... that joy will not depend on any of it. THAT is not simplicity. THAT is mastery. ❤️ I've seen rich people in quiet mansions... with dead eyes. And I've seen a fisherman in Iloilo... with holes in his shirt... laughing with his whole soul... surrounded by ten people who love him. Tell me again... who is the poor one? πŸ‡΅πŸ‡­ They say the Philippines is a developing country. Maybe. But in the science of being happy... with what you have... while loving who you're with... Filipinos are not developing. Filipinos are the most developed nation on Earth. And it's not even close. πŸ‘‘ I came to these islands to teach my skills. Instead... these islands taught me how to live. I can never repay that. But I can do this: I can tell 7 billion people... that somewhere in the Pacific... there are 7,641 islands... where God hid His masterpiece. Not the beaches. Not the sunsets. The people. ❤️πŸ‡΅πŸ‡­ So if you're reading this... and you're Filipino... do me one favor. Stop saying "Filipino lang ako." Just a Filipino? JUST? πŸ˜„ My friend... you belong to the only nation in the world... that can lose everything... and still have everything that matters. Wear it like a crown. πŸ‘‘πŸ‡΅πŸ‡­

No comments: