Wednesday, April 22, 2020

When engineers do good Cielo Habito

Engineering is a profession I actually found myself seriously thinking I should have pursued instead, at a time I was about to complete my Bachelor of Science in Agriculture, major in Agricultural Economics, at the University of the Philippines-Los BaƱos. Having studied at the Philippine Science High School, I was among those who strayed off from a career path in “hard” science, as our mentors apparently envisaged for us, going instead into the social sciences. An engineering course and career would have fulfilled that, but the pull in that direction came a bit too late for me to redirect my career without substantial cost and disruption.

Not that I regret being an economist. I’ve seen too many engineers, and scientists in general, miss looking at the economics of their inventions, then wonder why the product of their hard work has remained in the pages of scientific journals, or stuck in prototypes, rather than used and adopted. But neither can we economists claim to have all the answers. To my mind, it is when engineering knowledge and economic intuition come together that the product of an engineer’s mind truly helps uplift human lives.

One can certainly say that with the Bravura


No comments: